"A feeling FULLY felt, will dissipate’ - Dr. Marti Glenn
Marti Glenn has a PhD in Psychology, the Co-Founder of Ryzio Institute and founding President of Santa Barbara Graduate Institute. She is also a pioneering psychotherapist, educator and trainer. In all her work, Marti emphasizes the integration of the latest research in neuroscience, behavioral epigenetics and Polyvagal Theory with mindfulness, attachment, early development, and trauma.
Being in social isolation, the fear and tragedy of the virus, balancing our time between career, family, and personal space is a huge challenge. In this interview, we talk about what is happening to our nervous system, and some incredible tools to help calm your system and improve your overall health.
We shed light on the following topics:
- Human Connection –Helps dissolve fear
- Regulating our Nervous System and helping our families do the same
- The Window of PRESENCE & Tips for staying cool, calm & connected
- Balancing Gratitude and Pain
- We were taught there are 2 branches of the nervous system that respond to FEAR- fight or flight, we discuss that there is, in fact, a third branch of the nervous system that reaches for Human Connection first.
- How to create a Window Of Presence and what happens when we are outside our ‘Window.’ Simple tips to come back to our window of presence, such as the ‘ABCs’
- We discuss Neuroception – the part of the brain always on alert- and some fun ways to help yourself and others stay calm
- Becoming more comfortable with a little bit of uncertainty and realizing that Gratitude calms the nervous system.
- Realizing that as parents – you don’t always need to get it right! It’s okay to be wrong and not be perfect during these times.
- Slowing Down, focusing on enriching relationships while at home during this time. The primary focus is on connection
- Allowing children to have an outlet for anger or pain. We discuss some useful strategies such as crayon to paper!
- What do you do and say when your kids have a moment of sadness, seeing through the problem together, do not try to FIX IT.
QUOTES TO FILL YOUR SOUL from Marti:
o “Gratitude calms the nervous system
o ‘A feeling FULLY felt, will dissipate’
o Emotional and spiritual maturity means holding two equal AND opposite emotions at the same time; one doesn’t negate the other
o Biggest lessons through this situation are: Slow down, Find ways to connect, Let people know that I love them
How to learn more about the things mentioned in this episode:
- To learn more about Marti and Ryzio Institute CLICK HERE
- Watch Marti’s 3- min practice on YouTube on Vagus Nerve Nurturing to help grow the nervous system and experience more calm
Were you INSPIRED by this video?! Drop us a comment below – LET US KNOW WHAT RESONATED!
TOGETHER WE RISE XO
FURTHER YOUR LEARNING:
DON’T MISS THE NEXT CLEANSE FOR LIFE PROGRAM – CLICK HERE FOR UPCOMING DATES
TAKE THIS QUIZ TO SEE IF YOU HAVE OPTIMAL BRAIN HEALTH: BRAIN QUIZ
INSPIRED TO LEARN MORE and GROW FURTHER? check out our transformative workshops